08 February 2013

Precordial Catch Syndrome

This isn't really related to emotional problems, but I feel I should document this. When I was a child I suffered for years from this. Then it went away some time around 2001 throughout highschool and post-highschool life. It wasn't until 2008 that it resurged, but that didn't last long. Now I've been suffering from it every day this week, and I hope it goes away soon.

PCS manifests itself as a very intense, sharp pain, typically at the left side of the chest, generally in the cartilage between the bones of the sternum and rib cage, which is worse when taking breaths...  On rare occasions, breathing in or out suddenly will cause a small popping or cracking sensation in the chest, which results in the pain going away. In most cases the pain is resolved quickly and completely, and medication is not needed for the pain to subside. There is no known treatment or cure for PCS. 

Yep. I was told in 2008 that this was most likely what I had, but there was nothing that could be done about it. Every time that I know of however, I've been able to take a quick deep through the brilliant, searing pain, and it will literally feel like a bursting bubble on the left side of my chest. It hurts like there's no tomorrow, but then the pain is gone... at least it is for now...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting... I've never heard of that. It almost sounds like you're popping an air bubble or something.

    ReplyDelete